[Python-Dev] proto-pep: plugin proposal (for unittest)

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Fri Jul 30 01:03:11 CEST 2010

Damn, the email was truncated. Probably my fault. The part missed off is:

Not Yet Implemented
===================

Except where noted, everything in this document is already working in
the prototype. There are a few open issues and things still to be
implemented.

Certain event attributes should be read only (like extraTests,
extraNames etc)
because they should only be extended or modified in place instead of being
replaced.

Add an epilogue to the optparse help messages.

A messaging API for plugins that respects verbosity.

The ``startTestRun`` event needs an alternative way of replacing the default
test run machinery without stopping other plugins from executing. It should
only be possible for *one* plugin to use this.

Should the ``onTestFailEvent`` be able to supress raised exceptions? It
should
also be able to modify the traceback so that bare asserts could be used but
still provide useful diagnostic information. Should this event be fired for
test skips?

Command line options to unittest, like verbosity, should be put into the
config
data structure so that they are accessible to plugins.

TestFailEvent needs to be fired on failures in setUpClass and
setUpModule etc

Plugin.register and Plugin.unregister aren't precisely complementary.
This means
that unregister can only be called once. This may not be an issue.

Plugin.unregister will fail if any events have already been unhooked.
This can
easily be fixed.

If the merge to unittest in Python 3.2 happens we need to decide which
of the
example plugins will be included in unittest. (They will probably all remain
in unittest2.)

Custom test outcomes are *not* supported; making interoperating tools or
plugins
in the presence of custom outcomes can be very hard.

Should unittest2 have a different config file from unittest, so they can be
configured side-by-side? (``unittest2.cfg`` perhaps.) Alternatively the same
config file could be used with a '[unittest2]' section instead of
'[unittest]'.

Should ``StopTestEvent.timeTaken`` (plus startTime / stopTime etc)
include the
time for setUp, tearDown and cleanUps? Should this information be available
separately perhaps?

The discovery command line interface has changed a lot and the tests need
reviewing to ensure they still provide full coverage.

Should there be an "excluded-plugins" section in the config files, so
projects
can prevent incompatible plugins from being loaded?

Should multiline values in config files be merged instead of overriding each
other. (This is effectively what happens for the plugins list.)

Should ``handleFile`` be fired when a test name is specified at the command
line? (This would be 'tricky' as ``handleFile`` will have to be called
for the
containing module and then the correct name pulled out of the module.)

Additional Changes
==================

Alongside, and in support of, the plugin system a few changes have been
made to unittest2. These either have no, or very minor, backwards
compatibility issues. Changes so far are:

TestLoader has a new attribute ``DEFAULT_PATTERN``. This is so that the
regex matching plugin can change the default pattern used for test discovery
when no pattern is explicitly provided.

Command line parsing is all done by optparse, removing the use of
getopt. This
makes the help messages more consistent but makes the usage messages less
useful in some situations. This can be fixed with the use of the optparse
epilogue.

unit2 (the default test runner) runs test discovery if invoked without
any arguments.

unit2 can execute tests in filenames as well as module names - so long
as the
module pointed to by the filename is importable from the current directory.

FunctionTestCase.id() returns 'module.funcname' instead of just funcname.

Added util.formatTraceback, the default way of formatting tracebacks.
TestCase
has a new formatTraceback method (delegating to util.formatTraceback).
TestCase
instances can implement formatTraceback to control how the traceback for
errors
and failures are represented. Useful for test items that don't represent
Python
tests, for example the pep8 / pyflakes checker and theoretical javascript
test runners such as exist for py.test and nose.

If you specify test names (modules, classes etc) at the command line
they will
be loaded individually using ``loader.loadTestsFromName`` instead of
collectively with ``loader.loadTestsFromNames``. This enables individual
names
to be checked to see if they refer to filenames.