[Python-Dev] Is it intentional that "sys.__debug__ = 1" is illegal in Python 2.7?

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Fri Jul 30 22:56:02 CEST 2010

On 30/07/2010 21:53, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Jul 30, 2010, at 01:42 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>

>> Well it is a reserved name so those packages that were setting it
>> should have known that they were using undefined behavior that could
>> change at any time.
>>
> Shouldn't it be described here then?
>
> http://docs.python.org/reference/lexical_analysis.html#identifiers

And raise a DeprecationWarning one release before becoming invalid syntax?

Michael

> -Barry

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree, on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.