[Python-Dev] proto-pep: plugin proposal (for unittest)

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 02:51:45 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Michael Foord
<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> For those of you who found this document perhaps just a little bit too long,
> I've written up a *much* shorter intro to the plugin system (including how
> to get the prototype) on my blog:
>
>     http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/weblog/arch_d7_2010_07_24.shtml#e1186

This looks nice and simple, but I am a bit worried about the
configuration file for registration. My experience is that end users
don't like editing files much. I understand that may be considered as
bikesheding, but have you considered a system analog to bzr instead ?
A plugin is a directory somewhere, which means that disabling it is
just removing a directory. In my experience, it is more reliable from
a user POV than e.g. the hg way of doing things. The plugin system of
bzr is one of the thing that I still consider the best in its
category, even though I stopped using bzr for quite some time. The
registration was incredibly robust and easy to use from a user and
developer POV,

David