[Python-Dev] pdb mini-sprint report and questions

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Jul 31 19:02:03 CEST 2010

On Jul 31, 2010, at 12:45 AM, Georg Brandl wrote:

>to warm up for tomorrow's 3.2alpha1 release, I did a mini-sprint on
>pdb issues today.  I'm pleased to report that 14 issues could be
>closed, and pdb got a range of small new features, such as commands on
>the command line, "until <lineno>" or "longlist" showing all the code
>for the current function (the latter courtesy of Antonio Cuni's pdb++).

I haven't played with pdb++ (I might have to do something about that) but it's
awesome that you're giving pdb some love.

>One issue that's not yet closed is #7245, which adds a (very nice IMO)
>feature: when you press Ctrl-C while the program being debugged runs,
>you will not get a traceback but execution is suspended, and you can
>debug from the current point of execution -- just like in gdb.

That *would* be nice.

>Another question is about a feature of pdb++ that I personally would
>like, but imagine would make others unhappy:  one-letter abbreviations
>of commands such as c(ontinue) or l(ist) are also often-used variable
>names, so they are frequently typed without the required "!" or "print"
>that would distinguish them from the command, and the command is
>actually executed.  The feature in question would default to printing
>the variable in cases where one exists -- handy enough or too
>inconsistent?

Not that important to me...

>Also, are there any other features you would like to see?  One feature
>of pdb++ that is general enough and has no dependencies would be watch
>expressions...

...but watch expressions - and the equivalent of gdb's 'display' command -
would be very cool.  `interact` would also be useful and probably pretty easy
to add.

-Barry