[Python-Dev] proto-pep: plugin proposal (for unittest)

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Sat Jul 31 19:24:44 CEST 2010

>> Note that the PEP 376 implementation is mainly done in pkgutil. A
>> custom version lives in distutils2 but
>> when ready, will be pushed independently in pkgutil
>
> Ok. It would be helpful for unittest2 (the backport) if it was *still*
> available in distutils2 even after the merge into pkgutil (for use by
> earlier versions of Python). I guess you will do this anyway for the
> distutils2 backport itself anyway... (?)

Yes. Even if the goal is to have distutils2 in the stdlib for 3.2 or
3.3, there will still be a standalone release on PyPI for Python
2.4-3.1. You’ll just have to write such compat code:

  try:
      from pkgutil import shiny_new_function
  except ImportError:
      from distutils2._backport.pkgutil import shiny_new_function

Regards