[Python-Dev] tp_dealloc

smarv at gmx.net smarv at gmx.net
Tue Jun 1 17:42:07 CEST 2010

> Without further information, I cannot consider this as a problem in
> Python.
> I know other extension modules that manage memory in their own way, and
> work.
> It's more probably an issue in the code of your type.
>
> --
> Amaury Forgeot d'Arc

Ok, thank you, but I'm still hoping, someone could test this.
I'm very sure, my app is not the cause;
only the python31.dll (py_finalize) is accessing the freed memory.
Inside py_finalize there is really no call to my hosting app (or reverse),
I even tested this in my debugger.

In most applications this python-problem remains hidden,
because their freeMem() leaves the freed memory unmodified.
(And that's why very good debuggers modify the freed
memory to reveal such hidden errors).
You could simply test this by setting pyObject.ob_type = $80808080
after freeMem( pyObject). Then later, call py_finalize,
and you will see the same problem (Access violation by trying
to use ob_type)