[Python-Dev] Future of 2.x.

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Jun 9 14:56:30 CEST 2010

Paul Moore wrote:
> On 9 June 2010 07:26, Chris McDonough <chrism at plope.com> wrote:
>>> I disagree.
>>>
>>> If there are going to be features going into *any* post 2.7.0 version,
>>> there's no reason not to increment the revision number to 2.8,
>>>
>>> Since there's also a well-advertised decision that 2.7 will be the
>>> last 2.x, such a 2.8 isn't planned.  But there's no reason to violate
>>> the no-features-in-bugfix-releases policy.  We've seen violations
>>> cause trouble and confusion, but we've not seen it be successful.
>>>
>>> The policy wasn't arbitrary; let's stick to it.
>> It might be useful to copy the identifiers and URLs of all the backport
>> request tickets into some other repository, or to create some unique
>> state in roundup for these.  Rationale: it's almost certain that if the
>> existing Python core maintainers won't evolve Python 2.X past 2.7, some
>> other group will, and losing existing context for that would kinda suck.
>
> Personally, as a user of Python, I'm already getting tired of the "we
> won't let Python 2.x die" arguments. Unless and until some other group
> comes along and says they definitely plan to pick up Python 2.x
> development (and set up or agree shared usage of all the relevant
> infrastructure, bug tracker, developers list, VCS, etc) I see the core
> developers' decision as made. 2.7 is the last Python 2.x release, and
> all further development will be on 3.x.
>
> On that basis I'm +1 on Alexandre's proposal. A 3rd party planning on
> working on a 2.8 release (not that I think such a party currently
> exists) can step up and extract the relevant tickets for their later
> reference if they feel the need. Let's not stop moving forward for the
> convenience of a hypothetical 2.8 development team.

How does throwing away information represent "moving forward"?

I have to say I am surprised by the current lack of momentum behind 3.x,
but I do know users who consider that their current investment in the
2.x series is unlikely to migrate to 3.x in the  next five years, and it
would be strange if they didn't continue to develop 2.x (including
backporting some 3.x features).

I don't see why we have to make such work harder than it need be.

regards
 Steve
See Python Video!       http://python.mirocommunity.org/
"All I want for my birthday is another birthday" -
                                     Ian Dury, 1942-2000