[Python-Dev] email package status in 3.X

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Jun 18 22:48:21 CEST 2010

At 05:22 PM 6/18/2010 +0000, lutz at rmi.net wrote:
>So here it is: The prevailing view is that 3.X developers hoisted things
>on users that they did not fully work through themselves.  Unicode is
>prime among these: for all the talk here about how 2.X was broken in
>this regard, the implications of the 3.X string solution remain to be
>fully resolved in the 3.X standard library to this day.  What is a
>common Python user to make of that?

Certainly, this was my impression as well, after all the Web-SIG
discussions regarding the state of the stdlib in 3.x with respect to
URL parsing, joining, opening, etc.

To be honest, I'm waiting to see some sort of tutorial(s) for using
3.x that actually addresses these kinds of stdlib usage issues, so
that I don't have to think about it or futz around with
experimenting, possibly to find that some things can't be done at all.

IOW, 3.x has broken TOOOWTDI for me in some areas.  There may be
obvious ways to do it, but, as per the Zen of Python, "that way may
not be obvious at first unless you're Dutch".  ;-)
Since at the moment Python 3 offers me only cosmetic improvements
over 2.x (apart from argument annotations), it's hard to get excited
enough about it to want to muck about with porting anything to it, or
even trying to learn about all the ramifications of the changes.  :-(