[Python-Dev] Python Library Support in 3.x (Was: email package status in 3.X)

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Jun 19 14:12:56 CEST 2010

On 10:59 am, arcriley at gmail.com wrote:
>You mean Twisted support, because library support is at the point where
>there are fewer actively maintained packages not yet ported than those
>which
>are.  Of course if your Python experience is hyper-focused to one
>framework
>that isn't ported yet, it will certainly seem like a lot, and you guys
>who
>run #Python are clearly hyper-focused on Twisted.

Arc,

This isn't about Twisted.  Let's not waste everyone's time by trying to
make it into a conflict between Twisted users and the rest of the Python
community.

You listed six other major packages that you yourself use that aren't
available on Python 3 yet, so why are you trying to say here that this
is all about Twisted?
>[snip]
>
>This anti-Py3 rhetoric is damaging to the community and needs to stop.
>We're moving forward toward Python 3.2 and beyond, complaining about it
>only
>saps valuable developer time (including your own) from getting these
>libraries you need ported faster.

No, it's not damaging.  Critical self-evaluation is a useful tool.
Trying to silence differing perspectives is what's damaging to the
community.

Jean-Paul