[Python-Dev] Python Library Support in 3.x (Was: email package status in 3.X)

Arc Riley arcriley at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 15:09:55 CEST 2010

Just because legacy Python needs to be kept around for a bit longer for a
few uses does not mean that "Python 3 is not ready yet".  Any decent package
system can have two or more versions of Python installed at the same time.

It is not "critical self-evaluation" to repeat "Python 3 is not ready" as
litany in #Python and your supporting website.  I use the word "litany" here
because #Python refers users to what appears to be a religious website
http://python-commandments.org/python3.html

I have further witnessed (and even been the other party to) you and other
ops in #Python telling package developers, who have clearly said that they
are working to port their legacy package to Py3, that "Python 3 is not
ready".  One of our Summer of Code students this year actually included in
his application that he was told (strongly) in #Python that he shouldn't be
working with Py3 - even after he expressed his intent to apply under the PSF
to help with the Py3 migration effort as his project.

Besides rally against it what have you, as a Twisted developer, done
regarding the Python 3 migration process?