[Python-Dev] Python Library Support in 3.x (Was: email package status in 3.X)

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Jun 19 17:43:26 CEST 2010

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 11:14:51 -0400
Arc Riley <arcriley at gmail.com> wrote:
> python-commandments.org is owned and hosted by the same person (Allen Short
> aka dash aka washort) as pound-python.org which is the "official" website
> for #Python and which links to it.
>
> #Python is co-managed by Stephen Thorne (aka Jerub) and Allen Short (aka
> dash aka washort).  According to Freenode services, the channel operators
> include more than half the active Twisted Matrix developers, including
> yourself.  Each of you has had the ability to change the topic at any time.

I don't think it's constructive to treat the Twisted developers as an
uniform society.

I would expect #python (which I don't think I have ever participated
in) to function like any community, where you don't make unilateral
changes if others disagree with you. Jean-Paul said “I've barely even
frequent #python in the last three years”. Knowing this, I don't know
how he could impose a topic change on his own.

> I'm sorry if we're in uncomfortable finger-pointing mode, but in the spirit
> of critical self-evaluation I think its time we take a long look at who is
> actually representing the Python community in operating our primary
> community help channel and whether that situation should continue.

Well, perhaps, but whether Python 3 is misrepresented shouldn't be the
only metric, then.

Regards

Antoine.