[Python-Dev] email package status in 3.X

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Jun 19 18:07:43 CEST 2010

At 10:55 PM 6/19/2010 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>They really don't care that writing Python 3 was fun, and that
>programming in Python 3 is more fun than ever.  That doesn't
>compensate for even one lingering str/bytes bogosity to most of
>them, and since they don't get paid for fixing Python library bugs,
>they don't, and they're in no mood to *forgive* any, either.

This is pretty much where I'm at, except that the only potential fun
increase Py3 appears to offer me are argument annotations and
keyword-only args -- but these are partly balanced by the loss of
argument tuple unpacking.  The metaclass keyword argument is nice,
but the loss of dynamically-settable __metaclass__ is just plain annoying.

Really, just about everything that Py3 offers in the way of added
fun, seems offset by a matching loss somewhere else.  So it's hard to
get excited about it - it seems like, "ho hum, a new language that's
kind of like Python, but just different enough to be annoying."

OTOH, I don't know what to do about that, besides adding some sort of
"killer app" feature that makes Python 3 the One Obvious Way to do
some specific application domain.