[Python-Dev] #Python3 ! ? (was Python Library Support in 3.x)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jun 20 02:02:03 CEST 2010

After reading the discussion in the previous thread, signed in to
#python and verified that the intro message starts with a lie about
python3. I also verified that the official #python site links to "Python
Commandment Don't use Python 3… yet". The excuse that the negative
commandment site is not part of the official site is does not wash. The
#python site maintainer choose that as the authoritative word on the
topic "On using Python 2.x or Python 3.x".

Since a fair, half-intelligent person would know that the usability of
Python3 depends on the user, this all strikes as conscious sabotage.

To me, this, along with other reports, is really ugly. I do not wish to
fight such people; but I would rather ask python3 questions in a pro-
rather than anti-python3 atmosphere. #python is certainly not a place
that I would refer new people to.

Given that the 'owners' of #python have been asked and refuse to remove
their negative-opinion-stated-as-leading-headline-fact, it seems to me
that we need a separate #python3 channel. The topic could be "Welcome to
discussion of Python3, the latest, greated version of Python." The first
link might be to the current stable Python3 docs. Hence the '!' in the
subject line.

HoweverI have very little experience with IRC and consequently have
little idea what getting a permanent, owned, channel like #python
entails. Hence the '?' that follows.

What do others think?