[Python-Dev] email package status in 3.X

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Jun 20 11:14:02 CEST 2010

Steven D'Aprano writes:

 > Frankly, I believe that pushing the meme that "Python 3 is different" is
 > a strategic mistake.

I agree that it's strategically undesirable.  Unfortunately, the
genuine backward incompatibility, as well as the huge mind-share
already garnered by what I consider wrong-headed advice from certain
quarters have made pushing the meme that "Python 3 is very nearly the
same" untenable.  It's hard to beat something like "it's not yet time
to use Python 3" with a nuanced explanation.

 > had my experience would have been different. It's bad enough to have to
 > tell people "Python 3 is currently lacking some critical libraries,
 > particularly third-party libraries" without also telling them (wrongly
 > IMO) "oh, and it's a new language too".

That's why I propose the C to C++ analogy.  True, C++ does introduce a
lot of new features, but most programmers migrating from C to C++
don't learn to use them properly for years, if ever, I'm told.

Note also that I don't propose this as PSF advertising.  I proposed it
as a response to Mark's question, "what should I tell my readers?"