[Python-Dev] #Python3 ! ? (was Python Library Support in 3.x)

Laurens Van Houtven lvh at laurensvh.be
Sun Jun 20 16:46:03 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 9:33 PM, Laurens Van Houtven <lvh at laurensvh.be> wrote:
> Given the number of other links that are already in the status
> message, it would be really nice if the comment could be updated to
> something like:
>
> "Is Python3 ready for me? http://python-commandments.org/python3.html"

Sounds like a great idea, I'll run it past the other folks.

> i.e. make it clear that this is a question where the answer will vary
> based on your use case, and provide a clear direction on where to get
> more information.

I think the reason #python regulars never saw this as a problem is
because people who actually ask do get this answer. At least they do
if Aaron, Allen, Brendon, Clovis, Stephen, Devin, me... (list of names
way too numerous to be exhaustive) are awake. Maybe the strong
language does scare people off from that critical
asking-for-more-information step, so yes, reviewing that would be a
good idea.

> There are always going to be differences in how different communities
> see the world and even the "Python community" is far too large to have
> a consistent point of view on almost any topic. So we'll likely have
> to muddle through with various ideas slowly percolating through to
> different parts of the community. That said, keeping in touch with the
> #python crew is certainly something we haven't paid much attention to
> in the past, but is probably just as important as staying in touch
> with major library developers and the developers of other
> implementations.

My thoughts exactly on both counts. Communication good, embrace heterogeneity :)

> Cheers,
> Nick.

Thanks for your input,
Laurens