[Python-Dev] #Python3 ! ? (was Python Library Support in 3.x)

Laurens Van Houtven lvh at laurensvh.be
Sun Jun 20 18:15:01 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
>> On Jun 19, 2010, at 5:02 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> Which is yet another reason I don't think it would be productive to
> attempt any kind of pre-emptive action against the #python team. They do
> serve a very useful purpose, and there is reasoned logic behind their
> position even if we might wish it were different.
>
> regards
>  Steve

I'm one of them so I'm a bit biased, but I'd say the biggest argument
is that it's not set in stone (I'm trying to fix it and the regulars
have been nothing but cooperative). Nobody from the #python people
realized this was a huge thing for people up until today. It's been up
there for a long time, and it's becoming less and less defensible
every passing day (and that's a good thing!), so we're basically
debating what ought to change and when. It's not really a matter of
disliking, it's more of a matter of "um, it's still up there because
nobody thought it had to go" :-)

FWIW: I think a separate #python3 channel would be a really bad idea.

thanks
Laurens