[Python-Dev] #Python3 ! ? (was Python Library Support in 3.x)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 23:53:38 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 7:12 AM, Simon de Vlieger <simon at ikanobori.jp> wrote:

> which is presented on the python-commandments domain I have asked Laurens to
> write a new text on the subject.
>
> This message is a heads up to let all of you know that this new article is
> now available on the following URL:
> http://python-commandments.org/python3.html

That's a fairly decent write-up in my opinion. As Laurens pointed, it
trends towards the "use Python 3 if you can, Python 2 if you need to"
point of view, which I personally think is the right spin to be
putting on this issue, but obviously opinions will vary on that front.

About the only specific wording tweak I would suggest is that "little
regard for backwards compatibility" should be phrased as "less regard
for backwards compatibility". There were still quite a few ideas we
rejected as gratuitously incompatible, even for Py3k (the eventual
decision to retain old-style string formatting comes to mind).

Cheers,
Nick.