[Python-Dev] #Python3 ! ? (was Python Library Support in 3.x)

Arc Riley arcriley at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 17:31:08 CEST 2010

Personally, I'd like to celebrate the upcoming Python 3.2 release (which
will hopefully include 3to2) with moving all packages which do not have the
'Programming Language :: Python :: 3' classifier to a "Legacy" section of
PyPI and offer only Python 3 packages otherwise.  Of course put a banner at
the top clearly explaining that Python 2 packages can be found in the Legacy
section.

Radical, I know, but at some point we really need to make this move.

PyPI really needs a mechanism to cull out the moribund packages from being
displayed next to the actively maintained ones.  There's so many packages on
there that only work on Python 2.2-2.4 (for example), or with a specific
highly outdated version of another package, etc.

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Stephan Richter <stephan.richter at gmail.com