[Python-Dev] #Python3 ! ? (was Python Library Support in 3.x)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jun 21 18:35:08 CEST 2010

On 6/21/2010 11:31 AM, Arc Riley wrote:
> Personally, I'd like to celebrate the upcoming Python 3.2 release (which
> will hopefully include 3to2) with moving all packages which do not have
> the 'Programming Language :: Python :: 3' classifier to a "Legacy"
> section of PyPI and offer only Python 3 packages otherwise.  Of course
> put a banner at the top clearly explaining that Python 2 packages can be
> found in the Legacy section.

I do not think 2.x should be dissed any more than 3.x, which is to say,
not at all. The impression I got from lurking on #python last night, in
between disconnects, is that at least a couple of people feel that there
is a move afoot to push people to Python3. Whether that had any
connection to discussions here, I could not tell.

Having pypi.python.org/py2 and pypi.python.org/py3 though might be a
good idea. Inquiries from either url would automatically filter. The
counterargument is that there may be people looking for packages
available for *both*.

> Radical, I know, but at some point we really need to make this move.
>
> PyPI really needs a mechanism to cull out the moribund packages from
> being displayed next to the actively maintained ones.

The default ordering for search results is by rating.

   There's so many
> packages on there that only work on Python 2.2-2.4 (for example), or
> with a specific highly outdated version of another package, etc.

And there are people running those versions. I think better
classification and filtering is the answer, though hard to mandate.

Terry Jan Reedy