[Python-Dev] #Python3 ! ? (was Python Library Support in 3.x)

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Jun 21 21:59:53 CEST 2010

Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 6/21/2010 8:33 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
>> P.S. (We're going to have a tough decision to make somewhere along the
>> line where docs.python.org is concerned, too - when do we flick the
>> switch and make a 3.x version of the docs the default?
>
> Easy. When 3.2 is released. When 2.7 is released, 3.2 becomes 'trunk'.
> Trunk released always take over docs.python.org. To do otherwise would
> be to say that 3.2 is not a real trunk release and not yet ready for
> real use -- a major slam.
>
> Actually, I thought this was already discussed and decided ;-).

This also gives the 2.7 release it's day in the sun before relegation to
maintenance status.

The Python 3 documents, when they become the default, should contain an
every-page link to the Python 2 documentation (though linkages may be a
problem - they could probably be done at a gross level).

regards
 Steve
See Python Video!       http://python.mirocommunity.org/
"All I want for my birthday is another birthday" -
                                     Ian Dury, 1942-2000