[Python-Dev] #Python3 ! ? (was Python Library Support in 3.x)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jun 22 01:01:09 CEST 2010

On 6/21/2010 3:59 PM, Steve Holden wrote:
> Terry Reedy wrote:
>> On 6/21/2010 8:33 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>>
>>> P.S. (We're going to have a tough decision to make somewhere along the
>>> line where docs.python.org is concerned, too - when do we flick the
>>> switch and make a 3.x version of the docs the default?
>>
>> Easy. When 3.2 is released. When 2.7 is released, 3.2 becomes 'trunk'.
>> Trunk released always take over docs.python.org. To do otherwise would
>> be to say that 3.2 is not a real trunk release and not yet ready for
>> real use -- a major slam.
>>
>> Actually, I thought this was already discussed and decided ;-).
>>
> This also gives the 2.7 release it's day in the sun before relegation to
> maintenance status.

Every new version (except 3.0 and 3.1) has gone to maintenance status
*and* becomes the featured release on docs.python.org the day it was
released.  2.7 would just spend less time as the featured release on
that page.

> The Python 3 documents, when they become the default, should contain an
> every-page link to the Python 2 documentation (though linkages may be a
> problem - they could probably be done at a gross level).

docs.python.org contains links to docs to other releases, both past and
future. There is no reason to treat 3.2 specially, or to junk up its
pages. The 3.x docs have intentionally been cleaned of nearly all
references to 2.x. The current 2.6 and 2.7 pages have no references to
corresponding 3.1 pages.

Terry Jan Reedy