[Python-Dev] red buildbots on 2.7

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jun 22 03:41:02 CEST 2010

"Martin v. Löwis" writes:

 > Still, the question would be whether any of these failures can manage to
 > block a release.

Exactly.  Personally, I would say that in a volunteer-maintained
project, "Platform X is supported" means that "There is a bug that
seems to affect only Platform X" is a candidate for release blocker,
or other standardized action to get things fixed (call for volunteers,
etc).  That's a matter for agreement among the volunteers, not an
objective definition.  I think statements of support for certain
platforms are useful to users, and that they cause very little
additional friction or misunderstanding.  (Users who think that
"support" implies "support contract" are usually capable of finding an
excuse to ignore *any* disclaimer of warrantee; simply refusing to use
the word "support" won't save you from them!)

If a distinction needs to be made, we can say "Python *support* for a
platform does not imply that any particular issue will receive
concentrated attention from the core developers in any time frame.
When and how to address issues is up to the judgment of the
development community.  *Support contracts* are available from the
businesses listed on the Wiki under 'Python Consultancies' for those
who need a higher level of support."