[Python-Dev] email package status in 3.X

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jun 22 23:21:53 CEST 2010

Tres, I am a Python3 enthusiast and realist. I did not expect major
adoption for about 3 years (more optimistic than the 5 years of some).

If you are feeling pressured to 'move' to Python3, it is not from me. I
am sure you will do so on your own, perhaps even with enthusiasm, when
it will be good for *you* to do so.

If someone wants to contribute while sticking to Python2, its easy. The
tracker has perhaps 2000 open 2.x issues, hundreds with no responses. If
more Python2 people worked on making 2.7 as bug-free as possible, the
developers would be freer to make 3.2 as good as possible (which is what
*I* want).

The porting of numpy (which I suspect has gotten some urging) will not
just benefit 'nemerical' computing. For instance, there cannot be a 3.x
version of pygame until there is a 3.x version of numpy, its main Python
dependency. (The C Simple Directmedia Llibrary it also wraps and builds
upon does not care.)

--
Terry Jan Reedy