[Python-Dev] WPython 1.1 was released

Cesare Di Mauro cesare.di.mauro at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 13:28:58 CEST 2010

2010/6/23 Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>

> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 08:12:36 pm Cesare Di Mauro wrote:
> > I've released WPython 1.1, which brings many optimizations and
> > refactorings.
>
> For those of us who don't know what WPython is, and are too lazy, too
> busy, or reading their email off-line, could you give us a one short
> paragraph description of what it is?
>
> Actually, since I'm none of the above, I'll answer my own question:
> WPython is an implementation of Python that uses 16-bit wordcodes
> instead of byte code, and claims to have various performance benefits
> from doing so.
>
> It looks like good work, thank you.
>
> --
> Steven D'Aprano

Hi Steven,

sorry, I made a mistake, assuming that the project was known.

WPython is a CPython 2.6.4 implementation that uses "wordcodes" instead of
bytecodes. A wordcode is a word (16 bits, two bytes, in this case) used to
represent VM opcodes. This new encoding enabled to simplify the execution of
the virtual machine main cycle, improving understanding, maintenance, and
extensibility; less space is required on average, and execution speed is
improved too.

Cesare