[Python-Dev] versioned .so files for Python 3.2

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Jun 25 00:35:05 CEST 2010

Scott Dial wrote:
> On 6/24/2010 5:09 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>>> What use case does this address?
>>
>>> If you want to make it so a system can install a package in just one
>>> location to be used by multiple Python installations, then the version
>>> number isn't enough.  You also need to distinguish debug builds, profiling
>>> builds, Unicode width (see issue8654), and probably several other
>>> ./configure options.
>>
>> This is a good point, but more easily addressed.  Let's say a distro makes
>> three Python 3.2 variants available, one "normal" build, a debug build, and
>> UCS2 and USC4 versions of the above.  All we need to do is choose a different
>> .so ABI tag (see previous follow) for each of those builds.  My updated patch
>> (coming soon) allows you to define that tag to configure.  So e.g.
>
> Why is this use case not already addressed by having independent
> directories? And why is there an incentive to co-mingle these
> version-punned files with version-agnostic ones?

I don't think this is a good idea. After a while your Python
lib directories would need some serious dusting off to make them
maintainable again.

Disk space is cheap so setting up dedicated directories for each
variant will result in a much easier to manage installation.

If you want a really clever setup, use hard links between those
directory (you can also use symlinks if you like).
Then a change in one Python file will automatically
propagate to all other variant dirs without any maintenance
effort. Together with PYTHONHOME this makes a really nice
virtualenv-like environment.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 25 2010)
2010-07-19: EuroPython 2010, Birmingham, UK                23 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/