[Python-Dev] "2 or 3" link on python.org

Stephen Thorne stephen at thorne.id.au
Fri Jun 25 02:31:49 CEST 2010

On 2010-06-25, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> Am 25.06.2010 01:28, schrieb Stephen Thorne:
> > Steve Holden Wrote:
> >> Given the amount of interest this thread has generated I can't help
> >> wondering why it isn't more prominent in python.org content. Is the
> >> developer community completely disjoint with the web content editor
> >> community?
> >>
> >> If there is such a disconnect we should think about remedying it: a
> >> large "Python 2 or 3?" button could link to a reasoned discussion of the
> >> pros and cons as evinced in this thread. That way people will end up
> >> with the right version more often (and be writing Python 2 that will
> >> more easily migrate to Python 3, if they cannot yet use 3).
> >>
> >> There seems to be a perception that the PSF can help fund developments,
> >> and indeed Jesse Noller has made a small start with his sprint funding
> >> proposal (which now has some funding behind it). I think if it is to do
> >> so the Foundation will have to look for substantial new funding. I do
> >> not currently understand where this funding would come from, and would
> >> like to tap your developer creativity in helping to define how the
> >> Foundation can effectively commit more developer time to Python.
> >>
> >> GSoC and GHOP are great examples, but there is plenty of room for all
> >> sorts of initiatives that result in development opportunities. I'd like
> >> to help.
> >
> > I am extremely keen for this to happen. Does anyone have ownership of this
> > project? There was some discussion of it up-list but the discussion fizzled.
>
> Can you please explain what "this project" is, in the context of your
> message? GSoC? GHOP?

Oh, I thought this was quite clear. I was specifically meaning the large
"Python 2 or 3" button on python.org. It would help users who want to know
what version of python to use if they had a clear guide as to what version
to download.

It doesn't help if someone goes to do greenfield development in python
if a library they depend upon has yet to be ported, and they're trying to
use python 3.

(As an addendum add pygtk to the list of libs that python 3 users on #python
are alarmed to find haven't been ported yet)

--
Regards,
Stephen Thorne