[Python-Dev] what environment variable should contain compiler warning suppression flags?

Mark Dickinson dickinsm at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 22:54:06 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Jeffrey Yasskin <jyasskin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Mark Dickinson <dickinsm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think saving and restoring CFLAGS across AC_PROG_CC was attempted in
>> http://bugs.python.org/issue8211 . It turned out that it broke OS X
>> universal builds.
>
> Thanks for the link to the issue. http://bugs.python.org/issue8366
> says Ronald Oussoren fixed the universal builds without reverting the
> CFLAGS propagation.

Yes, you're right (of course).  Thanks.  Looking at the current
configure.in, CFLAGS *does* get saved and restored across the
AC_PROG_CC call if it's non-empty;  I'm not sure whether this actually
(currently) has any effect, since as I understand the documentation
CFLAGS won't be touched by AC_PROG_CC if it's already set.

>> I'm not sure I understand the importance of allowing AC_PROG_CC to set
>> CFLAGS (if CFLAGS is undefined at the point of the AC_PROG_CC);  can
>> someone give an example of why this is necessary?
>
> Marc-Andre's argument seems to be "it's possible that AC_PROG_CC adds
> other flags as well (it currently doesn't, but that may well change in
> future versions of autoconf)." That seems a little weak to constrain
> fixing actual problems today. If it ever adds more arguments, we'll
> need to inspect them anyway to see if they're more like -g or -O2
> (wanted or harmful).

Okay;  thanks for the explanation.

Mark