[Python-Dev] OS X buildbots: why am I skipping these tests?

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Jun 30 20:49:54 CEST 2010

On 04:26 pm, janssen at parc.com wrote:
>exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
>>Could the test be rewritten (or supplemented) to use a pty?  Most or
>>perhaps all of the same operations should be supported.
>
>Buildbot seems to be explicitly not using a PTY.  From the the top of
>the test output:
>
>make buildbottest
>in dir /Users/buildbot/buildarea/trunk.parc-leopard-1/build (timeout
>1800 secs)
>watching logfiles {}
>argv: ['make', 'buildbottest']
>[...]
>closing stdin
>using PTY: False

This output is telling you that the build slave isn't giving the child
processes it creates a pty.  What I had in mind was writing the test to
create a new pty, instead of trying to use the controlling tty.  So
basically, the two things are completely unrelated and this buildbot
configuration isn't hurting anything (and in fact is likely helping
quite a few things, so I suggest leaving it alone).

>I believe this is specified by the build master.
>
>This test seems to work on Ubuntu and FreeBSD, though.

That's interesting.  I wonder if those slaves are able to open /dev/tty
for some reason?  The slave is supposed to detach from the controlling
terminal when it daemonizes.  There could be a bug in that code, I
suppose, or the slaves could be running without daemonization for some
reason.  The operators would have to tell us about that, I think.  Or,
another possibility is that /dev/tty doesn't work how I expect it to and
on Ubuntu and FreeBSD it can be opened even if you don't have a
controlling terminal.  Hopefully not, though.

Jean-Paul