[Python-Dev] Deprecation warnings in Python 2.7

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 11:35:33 CET 2010

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Le Tue, 2 Mar 2010 17:28:11 -0800,
> Raymond Hettinger <raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> a écrit :
>> -1 for several reasons.
>>
>> 1) We've advertised -3 as part of TheOneTrueWay(tm).  It's a core
>> part of our transition story, so we should keep that as
>> clean/consistent as possible.  Deprecating the -3 switch seems like
>> shooting ourselves in the foot.
>>
>> 2) There is some chance that there will be a 2.8, so it isn't helpful
>> to burn down our bridges.
>
> That's my feeling too. I think introducing a Py3kDeprecationWarning
> subclass is the right thing to do.

Agreed for the reasons Raymond cited. As far as the subclass goes, I
agree that's a good idea to allow people to readily detect whether they
tripped over a normal deprecation or a Py3 only deprecation when running
with -3 enabled.

As far as naming goes, I agree with Py3kDeprecationWarning since the
flag to enable them is called sys.py3kwarning.

Cheers,
Nick.