[Python-Dev] [PEP 3148] futures - execute computations asynchronously

Daniel Stutzbach daniel at stutzbachenterprises.com
Sun Mar 7 00:52:01 CET 2010

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk>wrote:

> On 06/03/2010 23:37, Greg Ewing wrote:
>> I've been thinking for a while that it would be a big help
>> if there were one, standardised module in the stdlib for
>> handling async events, and all the other gui toolkits
>> etc. were made to use it.
>>  Wouldn't it have to be the Tcl event loop then?

I image he means a standardized Abstract Base Class, which each GUI toolkit
would subclass.  That's more or less how Twisted's "reactors" work.  That
way non-GUI async code can just use the ABC and not worry about what event
loop is running underneath (be it TCL, GTK, or just poll()).
Daniel Stutzbach, Ph.D.
President, Stutzbach Enterprises, LLC <http://stutzbachenterprises.com>