[Python-Dev] [PEP 3148] futures - execute computations asynchronously

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 05:49:02 CET 2010

P.J. Eby wrote:
> (Personally, I think it would be better to just drop the ambitious title
> and scope, and go for the "nice task queue" scope.  I imagine, too, that
> in that case Jean-Paul wouldn't need to worry about it being raised as a
> future objection to Deferreds or some such getting into the stdlib.)

This may be a terminology thing - to me futures *are* just a nice way to
handle farming tasks out to worker threads or processes. You seem to see
them as something more comprehensive than that.

I agree the PEP should just target what the current implementation
provides and put whatever scope limitations are needed in the preamble
text to make that clear.

Cheers,
Nick.