[Python-Dev] "Fixing" the new GIL

Nir Aides nir at winpdb.org
Sun Mar 14 12:31:51 CET 2010

There are two possible problems with Dave's benchmark:

1) On my system setting TCP_NODELAY option on the accepted server socket
changes results dramatically.
2) What category of socket servers is dave's spin() function intended to
simulate?

In a server which involves CPU intensive work in response to a socket
request the behavior may be significantly different.
In such a system, high CPU load will significantly reduce socket
responsiveness which in turn will reduce CPU load and increase socket
responsiveness.

Testing with a modified server that reflects the above indicates the new GIL
behaves just fine in terms of throughput.
So a change to the GIL may not be required at all.

There is still the question of latency - a single request which takes long
time to process will affect the latency of other "small" requests. However,
it can be argued if such a scenario is practical, or if modifying the GIL is
the solution.

If a change is still required, then I vote for the simpler approach - that
of having a special macro for socket code.
I remember there was reluctance in the past to repeat the OS scheduling
functionality and for a good reason.

Nir