[Python-Dev] "Fixing" the new GIL

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Mar 16 23:22:25 CET 2010

> David explained that in the issue tracker - 2.x typically doesn't do
> that much work per bytecode instruction,

Oh, but that's wrong in general.
Dave's *spinning loop* doesn't do much work per bytecode instruction,
however ;)

> The current settings mean we have less GIL overhead in the normal case,
> but worse worst-case I/O latency.

Actually, ccbench shows that worst case IO latency is much worse in 2.x
(when executing bytecodes which do a lot of work, e.g. matching a
regex).
What happens though is that best case IO latency is better in 2.x (e.g.
spinning loop, or short opcodes approaching the spinning loop case :-)).

cheers

Antoine.