[Python-Dev] "Fixing" the new GIL

David Beazley dave at dabeaz.com
Wed Mar 17 12:53:24 CET 2010

I'm not sure I see any inherent problem in putting all I/O bound threads in some kind of FIFO queue.  However, there still should be some mechanism that gives those threads priority over a CPU-bound thread that never wants to give up the GIL.   A common OS solution is to simply have multiple FIFO queues, each with varying priorities.  Threads with low priority don't get to run unless the higher priority queues are empty.    One could probably try it with Python by simply having two queues (I/O and CPU) and separating threads into two categories depending on whether they are forcefully timed out or not.    An OS would tend to have many more levels, but maybe just two queues would be enough to solve the thread scheduling problems being discussed here.

Cheers,
Dave