[Python-Dev] test_bigmem and test_bigaddrspace broken

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Mar 17 20:08:33 CET 2010

Hello,

Le mercredi 17 mars 2010 à 11:58 -0700, C. Titus Brown a écrit :
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 06:54:33PM +0000, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> > The title says it all. test_bigmem and test_bigaddrspace are partly
> > broken under py3k, and no buildbot ever tests that they run successfully.
> > As an example, here is a test_bigmem run under a 16GB machine. It gets
> > "killed" at some point, probably by the Linux kernel's OOM killer,
> > although I instruct the test suite to only use a fraction of the
> > available RAM. There are also a couple of failures:
>
> I can provide login access to a 24gb machine (Linux), if you or others are
> interested.  Sometimes it's running other stuff, but it's got lots of swap :)

Thanks for the proposal.
That wasn't really the point of my message, though :)

As mentioned I have access to a 16GB machine which is able to run the
tests. The problem is that nobody seems interested in maintaining these
tests.
As far as I can say, the initial committer is Thomas Wouters, and not
much happened since then. It seems to me that big companies such as
Google and Apple would be the primarily concerned ones by such
scenarios, and willing to ensure they run fine.

(by the way, even without swapping and in non-debug mode, the tests are
quite long to run)

Regards

Antoine.