[Python-Dev] GSoC 2010 is on -- projects?

Laurent Gautier lgautier at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 15:23:33 CET 2010

On 3/19/10 12:57 PM, Arc Riley wrote:
> Hi Laurent
>
> If your community project would like help porting to Python 3, and you
> feel this work is enough for a student to work full time for several
> weeks on, then please do add it to the GSoC ideas page on the wiki.

Whether this is worth weeks of work or not will depend on a given
student's knowledge about Python 3, and I'd suspect that the GSoC would
be an opportunity for a number of applicant to actually learn the
intricacies of Python 3.
Developing Python 3-specific features could be used to increase the
amount of work on the project, but I am uncertain of whether this is
worth a full GSoC.

> There will be another program running for high school students which is
> more suitable for smaller tasks (2-3 days each), more on-par with the
> actual time it takes to port most Python packages.

My project is roughly 6000 lines of Python and 6000 lines of C (Mostly
C-level Python API bindings). I tried porting to Python 3 in the past,
and it went fast (less than a day). The hurdle is that this resulted in
segfaults for a lot of string-related features (You know, the
byte/string thing). Tracing issues at the C level can be time-consuming,
so I am hesitating to claim that 2-3 days of an high-school student
would be enough.

Could several ports be bundled in a GSoC (the target projects would be
grouped by theme, somehow).

L.