[Python-Dev] Silencing DeprecationWarning by default in Python 2.7 is silencing division warnings

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sat Mar 20 21:40:19 CET 2010

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 12:43, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> I see two possible fixes for this. One is to not silence DeprecationWarning
> if Py_DivisionWarningFlag is set to >= 1. The other is to introduce a new
> subclass of DeprecationWarning called IntegerDivisionWarning and have that
> added to the warnings filter so that if it is triggered it is handled
> separately from what DeprecationWarning triggers.
> The former means that you might get more than you bargained for in terms of
> warnings as you are suddenly switching on all DeprecationWarnings on top of
> division warnings. The latter means that you now have to explicit care about
> IntegerDivisionWarning on top of DeprecationWarning (to minimize this I
> could have IntegerDivisionWarning added to the warnings filter only in the
> case of when Py_DivisionWarningFlag is set instead of blindly adding it).
> Thoughts?
> -Brett

Just to follow up on this with my current thinking, I am leaning
towards having Py_DivisionWarningFlag disable the suppression of
DeprecationWarning. Since the silencing is new in 2.7, people using -Q
will not see any different semantics than they were with Python 2.6.
Plus if they are bothering to be notified about division warnings they
probably want to know about other warnings as well.