[Python-Dev] __pycache__ creation

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Mar 22 21:47:40 CET 2010

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2010, at 06:15 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>
>> What I am proposing is that the creation of __pycache__ /directories/ be put
>> outside of the core. It can be part of distutils, or of a separate module, or
>> delegated to third-party tools. It could even be as simple as
>> "python -m compileall --pycache", if someone implements it.
>
> Except that most people won't do this, they'll just run Python.  I wouldn't
> count this as "enabled by default".

Therefore, I'm in favor of having it on by default. If certain use cases
make it problematic (e.g. Apache creating directories which you then
cannot delete), there should be a way to turn it *off*. Perhaps the
existing machinery to turn of byte code generation at all might be
sufficient.

As for the original question (funny umasks), I think my proposal is
"tough luck". Don't try to be super-smart; as Antoine explains, it gets
worse, not better. If the user has arranged that Python will create
unusable directories, the user better changes his setup.

Regards,
Martin