[Python-Dev] At least one package management tool for 2.7

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 11:26:20 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:59 AM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder if there are many people here who don't use some kind of
> "easy_install" package for package management in their Python /
> virtualenv installations? I propose to include at least one such
> package that is capable to auto-update itself in Python 2.7
>
> C:\~env\Python27>python.exe -m easy_install
> C:\~env\Python27\python.exe: No module named easy_install
>
> C:\~env\Python27>python.exe -m pip
> C:\~env\Python27\python.exe: No module named pip
>

> It bugs me when I have to troubleshoot things on yet another machine
> that doesn't have some kind of `setuptools` installed. Or when I have
> to test some bug in my package on different Python version with a
> clean install and need some dependencies.

We are working on distutils2 right now to improve the situation, and
Ian has proposed to work on the possible inclusion of virtualenv in
the stldib as well.

I'll talk for distutils2 :

The plan is to provide a distutils2 standalone version that can be
installed from 2.4 to 3.x, and that will provide a basic
installer/uninstaller via -m.

Distutils2 is planned to be reintegrated in the stdlib in Python 3.3,
and my goal is to release it when Python 2.7 final is released.

The open question is: do we want to include a full installer that
takes care of installing / removing dependencies as well ?

I think not. Pip already provides this feature on the top of distutils
(and distutils2 later I guess) and is not hard to install on the top
of Python.

But the "auto-update" story seems interesting, can you expand on this ?

Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org