[Python-Dev] PEP 3147, __pycache__ directories and umask

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 13:15:00 CET 2010

Russell E. Owen wrote:
> This in turn implies that we may have to give up some support for
> dragging python modules into site-packages, e.g. not generate .pyc files
> for such modules. At least if we go that route it will mostly affect
> power users, who can presumably cope.

And when someone drags a Python module into the per-user site-packages
instead? [1]

Yes, a shared Python needs to be managed carefully. Systems with a
shared Python should also generally have a vaguely competent sysadmin
running them.

An unshared Python and associated packages under PEP 3147 should work
just as well as they do under the existing pyc scheme (only without the
source directory clutter).

Cheers,
Nick.

[1] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0370/