[Python-Dev] At least one package management tool for 2.7

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Mar 24 14:19:43 CET 2010

anatoly techtonik <techtonik <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I wonder if there are many people here who don't use some kind of
> "easy_install" package for package management in their Python /
> virtualenv installations? I propose to include at least one such
> package that is capable to auto-update itself in Python 2.7
>
> C:\~env\Python27>python.exe -m easy_install
> C:\~env\Python27\python.exe: No module named easy_install
>
> C:\~env\Python27>python.exe -m pip
> C:\~env\Python27\python.exe: No module named pip

It will not happen in 2.7, which is almost in beta phase.
Based on previous discussions, it will most likely not happen in 3.2 either. The
consensus is that setuptools, which both pip and easy_install depend on, should
not be included into the core.

However, Tarek's work on "distutils2" (a mostly forward-compatible replacement
for distutils) will include features such as dependencies, and make it much
easier to create and perhaps bundle a pip-like utility. So perhaps in 3.3 you
have a chance ;)

Regards

Antoine.