[Python-Dev] argparse.py is licensed under the Apache License

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 17:05:36 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 1:42 AM, Amaury Forgeot d'Arc
<amauryfa at gmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed that the newly added argparse module has an unusual
> licence header, included below. This is the only file in the Python tree
> that contains an explicit reference to the Apache License,
> and this leads me to some questions:

Sorry, I forgot to remove this when moving argparse to the stdlib.
There's probably one test\test_argparse too.

> - Did the contributor sign a Contributor agreement? In this case,
> shouldn't the code be marked as "Licensed to PSF under a Contributor Agreement",
> as mentioned in the contribution form?
> http://www.python.org/psf/contrib/contrib-form
> And then, could this Apache License be removed?

Yes, I have signed a contributor agreement. I was thinking of just
removing the license entirely, but if it's better to replace it with
"Licensed to PSF under a Contributor Agreement", that's fine too. Let
me know, and I'll take care of this today.

Thanks for catching this!

Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis?
Did Steve tell you that?
        --- The Hiphopopotamus