[Python-Dev] Issue 6081: format string using mapping rather than kwargs

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 16:09:00 CET 2010

Eric Smith wrote:
> Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> Moving the decision of "how am I going to be called" to the time of
>> writing the format string is a bit odd.
>>
>> On the other hand, the specially crafted format string does have the
>> virtue of travelling far more easily through any APIs that wrap the
>> basic format() method (since it doesn't need special treatment to make
>> its way through the wrapping code).
>
> Completely agree on all points. Now we're just left with "is it worth
> expanding the str api for this?". I don't feel strongly either way.

For something as core as the string API, we better feel darn strongly
about it before we mess with it :)

I'm inclined to leave it alone unless/until Raymond or somebody else
steps up to really champion it.

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. There's also the language moratorium to consider - since this idea
affect the methods of a builtin type, I believe the moratorium applies.