[Python-Dev] Request for commit access

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 13:56:27 CEST 2010

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> That's an ideal case, but it doesn't work, because more or less senior
>> committers are already too busy. If they do not even have time to
>> review issues, followup on patches  - how can they monitor who reached
>> the appropriate karma level?
>
> The practice proves to be different. In the recent additions, the new
> developer had been approached by some committer, suggesting that they
> apply. So the initiative actually started from a committer who thought
> that the karma level was appropriate. All I'm asking for is that then
> this committer takes the issues in his own hands, rather than letting
> the new developer ask for himself.

Agreed, since there is a bit of a commitment on the sponsor's part to
help coach the new committer in the early days (most new committers
don't need much coaching, but it's still good practice to have a
specific existing committer looking at their work for a while, in
addition to those of us that just try to review everything that goes by
on the checkin list).

Cheers,
Nick.