[Python-Dev] GSoC 2010 is on -- projects?

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 10:06:34 CEST 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 3:30 PM, C. Titus Brown <ctb at msu.edu> wrote:

>> I would vote for allowing student work on community infrastructure
>> tasks. Tracker, Wiki, Web site management tools are all outdated and
>> everybody who cares agrees that they've seen a better tools.
>
> As long as it's programming, it's allowed by Google.  So let's find a good
> student or two, and outline a few good projects!
>
> I do worry that that kind of work is difficult to evaluate, and requires really
> great communication on both sides...

First we need to compile a list of things to do into one big list. I
see the major problem that there is no "dashboard" that gives an
overview of available/supported community services and their status.
Services that are parts of python.org and those that linked and often
used, but not parts.

Status of service is the amount of opened/languishing
bugs/enhancements. Some services don't have trackers at all. For
example, infrastructure proposals, web site patches is nowhere to
track.

Service on a dashboard should be accompanied by contact points info.

Service should list location of primary repository and mirrors.

Feature creep:
- Service can be monitored for online/offline status.
- Service may have maintenance scripts, which community members can
see, inspect scheduled times for the next run and results of
execution.
- Service may publish stats for further analysis.

After dashboard is ready, it would be nice to unify all Services:
1. Add OpenID/Google support
2. Add searchable Google Groups mirrors
3. Add Google search form to Mailman web interface for hosted groups
4. Register services search with Google (see attach)

Then we need to find a contact point - a person who could be most
helpful for each service and help other students with other specific
tasks. I am not such person for neither service, but I am interested
to help push progress forward.
--
anatoly t.