[Python-Dev] Frequency of the dev docs autobuild

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Sat May 1 16:28:57 CEST 2010

On Sat, 01 May 2010 11:35:04 +0200, Georg Brandl wrote:
> Am 29.04.2010 13:40, schrieb R. David Murray:
> > On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:16:14 +1000, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Does the online dev version of the docs build in response to docs
> >> checkins, or just once a day?
> >
> > I believe it does it once a day.  Georg recently changed how this is done,
> > so we should get official word from him.
>
> Yes, it builds once a day.  The build process currently takes quite long,
> since PDFs are also built every time.  We could change the procedure to
> rebuild the HTML more frequently or on checkin, but that would again
> make the PDFs mismatch the online docs, and I would say it's not necessary.
>
> >> (And is that written down somewhere and I've just forgotten where to
> >> look...)
> >
> > I don't think so, but it should be.
>
> It is documented at <http://www.python.org/dev/doc>.  The docs themselves
> bear the "last updated" date only.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any docs there about the
automated build process and when and where it runs.

(Note that the old automated build process, the build.sh script, wasn't
documented in that sense anywhere that I know of, either.  And I can
never remember where its web status page is...at least for the
new docs procedure we have the last build date in an obvious place :)

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com