[Python-Dev] Should we drop active support of OSF/1?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon May 3 21:55:42 CEST 2010

Jesus Cea wrote:
> On 26/04/10 22:00, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>>> Maybe we can drop OSF/1 safely supporting Tru64 yet, but we don't have
>>> any buildbot running any of this systems...
>> Dropping support is fine with me, in the long term. If PEP 11 is truly
>> followed, we should deprecate support in one version, and drop it in the
>> next one. This would mean we add a easy-to-remove configure error in
>> 3.2, and remove the support in 3.3.
>
> Would be enough to raise an "ERROR" at configure time if OSF test is
> positive?. To delete that intentional "ERROR" would be trivial.

That's actually what the PEP suggests (or means to suggest). Users
willing to take over maintenance would, at a minimum, know how to remove
that error. If a user doesn't know how to remove it, they can ask for
help, but more importantly, they probably consider it already
unsupported - which is exactly the desired effect.

Just to rephrase: the point of this deprecation cycle is to give users a
chance to take over maintenance, and to declare, in public, that they
are interested in that port. If nobody steps forward, we can safely
assume that nobody cares.

Regards,
Martin