[Python-Dev] Two small PEP ideas

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon May 3 23:38:12 CEST 2010

Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> 2010/5/3 Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org>:
>> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:57 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>>> I do think it makes sense for the RM to assume these responsibilities where
>>> Guido either can't or doesn't want to make the final decision.  I think it
>>> will fairly substantially increase the workload on the RM, so perhaps there
>>> are ways to off-load some of the current responsibilities (e.g. updating the
>>> website for each release).  I also think that RMs should be term-limited so
>>> that we can spread more experience within the community.  And past-RMs can
>>> provide a sort of consultation group where contentious decisions can be
>>> discussed and advice gathered.
>
> I'm very -1 on the release manager making decisions on PEPs. The RM
> right now basically makes a release schedule and cuts releases. The
> little power he has is mostly used for rejecting features in the beta
> period. This task should not be politicized.

That seems reasonable, but it also seems reasonable to try and simplify
the task of updating the web site for each release. There's plenty to do
 without having to fight that issue too.

I'm copying this message to Rich Leland, who is currently making a study
of the PSF's web requirements, to make sure this gets folded in. Many of
the tasks are essentially macrogeneration, and unless automated will
remain error-prone.

regards
 Steve
See PyCon Talks from Atlanta 2010  http://pycon.blip.tv/