[Python-Dev] Two small PEP ideas

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed May 5 13:15:56 CEST 2010

Georg Brandl wrote:
> I agree, and I wouldn't want to make these decisions.  That person (or
> group) needs to have some weight in the community, or there will be a
> feeling of "... and who is he to decide anyway".  We haven't emphasized
> RMship in the past; it's not a special position, except when something
> about a release goes wrong and blame must be placed ;)  I think, being
> Guido, you are still the best single person to do this job.

Not to wish anything bad on Guido, but I think it does behoove us as
responsible stewards of the reference interpreter to at least consider
the "bus" factor (as in "hit by a...").

I suspect Martin is right that some form of committee (at least
initially) would be inevitable. While I doubt that we could find any one
person that everyone would agree to defer to, I suspect we could find a
small group of 3 or 4 people who's consensus everyone else would
respect. And if that small group couldn't agree on whether or not
something was a good idea, then the old "status quo wins a stalemate"
would kick in.

That said, this is hopefully something that we won't have to worry about
for real until some time well into the future when Guido decides he
wants to retire.

Regards,
Nick.