[Python-Dev] audience-instructors for Teach Me Python Bugfixing needed

Catherine Devlin catherine.devlin at gmail.com
Thu May 6 16:47:53 CEST 2010

Hey, everybody... I'm Catherine, a database administrator who makes up
excuses to write Python instead.

I'm not actually here as a core developer, but as somebody who hopes to
become a developer and recruit some more, which brings me to my question:

Who lives close enough to Ohio to make it to PyOhio this summer?  I want to
use PyOhio to create new Python devs (including myself), but I need some
existing ones to seed the process.

I need a few veterans (3?) who can commit to come to PyOhio and take part as
audience/instructors in a "Teach Me [Python core / standard library]
Bugfixing" session.  (See
http://catherinedevlin.blogspot.com/2010/04/bugfixing-at-pyohio.html.)  The
PyOhio Call for Proposals is up May 10 so I'd better find you quick!

I'm pretty much ignorant enough to lead a Teach Me session.  In a Teach Me
session, the person at the projector *doesn't* know the material.  Instead,
she asks the audience questions ("How do I find a bug to work on?"), and
they talk her through it.  It's based on Teach Me Twisted, a mind-blowing
session Steve Holden led at PyCon 2008 (
http://catherinedevlin.blogspot.com/2008/03/teach-me-twisted.html).  I think
it's a fantastic way to teach, but it depends on some veterans being in the
audience.  There are folks in the greater Python community eager to get hold
of a video of such a session... if we do this well, it could become an
important tool in keeping the quality of core Python code high.

And all I need from you, my audience-instructors, is a promise to show up
(no preparation necessary).  Can you make it?  Can you pass the appeal on to
others you know of?

Thanks!  Hope to see you in July!

--
- Catherine